Discovering my passion..

Let's just say it wasn't the childhood dream that lived inside of me. For those that are reading this that don't know me, I'm a Certified Pastry Chef. I found my new career in my early twenties. Thanks to my dad for helping me out. 




I was just graduating high school headed to college, and right off the bat I wanted to go for interior decorating. ( I have a great eye for design). I was about done with my first year and before I could end my last semester I wanted to quit and give up. It wasn't anything that I thought it would be like. 

As normal behavior, I go to my dad for help and guidance. I've always struggled in all my years of going to school. It had started back in kindergarten, I was held back and as i continued forward in my education i was considered a "Special Ed" student up until i was in my senior year in high school. I never really spoke about to anyone, mainly because I was ashamed and embarrassed. 

So as my dad and I was discussing my options i was over whelmed and crying because i had no answer to that draining question "Now what"?! My dad was looking up possible degree options at my current school. In the mean time I was baking for a fellowship that we had for church for the following day. So i was bouncing back and forth from the kitchen to the den "the computer room". Listening to my dad ask me "What about this option?" or "How about this one?". Then he came across to a culinary degree. It had me stop and think about it, but i wasn't convinced. Then he asked me about the Baking/Pastry degree. Now that was very appealing to me. Considering that I was always in the kitchen baking with my mom or grandma. That was the one I had chosen. I find it funny how our heavenly father works looking back. 

Baking with my niece Jaeda

My dad was very hesitant because he wasn't sure if i could make a career out of this decision and be happy. We just trusted in our heavenly father that this was the right pathway that i needed to go in. 
There was one thing about this, I had to move across the other side of the state of Michigan to get the schooling i needed. The reason being was that i didn't want to lose all my credits that i had. I'm not going to lie i was freaking out. Now i had to move to a place where i knew no one, starting over in my schooling, and try to support myself. Try being the key word. I made the move and i accomplished a two year program in a year and half! It was a big accomplishment for myself!

As i started in my career working for the Grand Traverse Pie Co. it was a great learning experience for myself (considering it was my very first food industry job). After two years of that i moved onto working for a four diamond hotel- The Royal Park Hotel for six years. It was there I had my eyes and mind open to a whole new experience. I really enjoyed working there and i learned so much! As time went by I wanted something more, and independent. I had discovered a side of me that actually runs very common in my family, and that is being and entrepreneur. 

Cupcakes I made at The Royal Park Hotel

I wanted to start something on my own with my pastry degree. It was then i started my home based business Indulge by Jenn. I had grown very fast and became more creative and independent and the best part, everyone was enjoying the product they received. I felt very confident in myself knowing that this is my calling. I found myself awake late in the night researching and practicing. It never felt like a job, it was then i had grown my career into a passion. 
Duck cake pops
                                               

Hungry Caterpillar themed cookies


Now i'm at a small upscale bakery- Morning Glory Coffee and Pastries located in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI. I'm the Executive Pastry Chef and with this privilege I get to learn, grow and experience as if its my own place. To be honest it's exactly how I would want my own place to be similar too. I still have a lot more to learn but I am truly indulging in every moment that I have. 

Patio setting at Morning Glory Coffee and Pastries
It wasn't the most obvious career choice but it was the most fitting one. With a creative mind and an eye for design anything can be possible. Sometimes it pays to listen to your parents advice even when they're not so certain for themselves. I can now say that my dad is a very proud of me and has a piece of mind knowing his daughter is following her passion and getting a pay check in the process!

                                        


Comments

  1. Jenn you are one of the most inspirational amazing women I know, I am so happy to be your friend and that we get to work together. You are beyond talented, thanks for being you! Love ya! Angela

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts